Sunday, August 1, 2010

Soooo Important

I usually do not title my posts with exclamations and pressing things but this one is important for all lovers of handmade soaps and cosmetics, especially the small businesses manufacturing them.

The Safe Cosmetics Act....not so good.

This is the second (or is it third) that the government has recently tried to make it more difficult for small businesses to stay in business. It seems that the government, all though with good intentions, is trying to save us from ourselves and kill small business for fun and profit by passing more regulations that require more time and money from those of us trying to run small business.

You can decide for yourself by reading the full legislation here.

Write your representative and tell them no on the The Safe Cosmetics Act of 2010 (H.R. 5786).

Here is a copy of the letter I composed (with the help of The Soap Queen)and sent to my representative here in Colorado.


Dear Representative John Salazar,

I am writing to express my concerns for H.R. 5786, The Safe Cosmetics Act. I make lip balms, soaps, and lotions and sell them at my local Farmer Market and festivals. I make less then $5000 per year. I sell them to pay for my daughter's new clothes and my son's snowbaords every year. what I make enhances my families income and helps the quality of our life, puts money back into my community, and helps deter the effects of the downturn in our economy.

I make soaps from common ingredients that you can find in your kitchen. For example, I have a great bar of soap that I make out of four ingredients: olive oil, lye, water, and essential oils. H.R. 5786 has a lot of extra reporting requirments that would be virtually impossible for me to comply with. I am just one woman in a kitchen. I do not have a huge staff to help with this paperwork nightmare. I often change formulations based on the season and consumer demand. Being nimble is a huge advantage for me and if I have to submit a new safety and ingredient affidavit for every product that will take away one of my key advantages. This legislation is unnecessary because it is already illegal to manufacture unsafe cosmetics and disclosure of ingredients and contact information is already required. Buying handmade and homemade toiletries is a prefferable choice for many consumers; these handicaps to small business like mine, could put me out of business and take that choice away. Please don't take away that choice. Please do not support H. R. 5786. It is well-meaning but it is written in such a way that I will not be able to stay in business because I will not be able to keep up. Estee Lauder started at her kitchen table. Please do not take that oppotunity away from me.

Sincerely,

Cass Smith


Make the decision for yourself and take the time to write your Representative. Help small business' do what they do best, business.

You can also check out the Oppose SCA website and sign the petition to Oppose the SCA here.

No comments:

Post a Comment