Soap, Craft Ramblings, and Random things About Life.
Sunday, March 27, 2011
Sugar Scrubbie Experiment
This ones too hard, this ones too soft, and this one is too oily!! Sugar scrubs that is. I found a recipe for them on the SoapQueen ( I do love the Soap Queen) and have always wanted to try to make sugar scrubbies.
I printed the recipe and gathered all my gear to try them the next day. The recipe wasn't bad I just thought it was a little oily and wanted to "adjust" the recipe to my taste. So I conducted a wee little experiment in order to find a recipe that was jjjuuussstt right.
Now, I probably should have used the same fragrance oil and mica for each one, but I am working under the assumption that the different fragrances will not reall have an effect since there is not a huge chemical reaction like making cold process soap.
I made three batches with different amounts of ingredients. The blue/green is the original recipe, it can be found here. This is one is for comparison.
The purple scrubbie is made with:
2 oz. clear M&P soap
1 oz of oil, I used Olive Oil
6 oz Sugar
25 drops FO and
1/8 tsp. lavender mica
Then the gold scrubbie is made with:
3 oz M &P soap
1.5 oz Olive Oil
6 oz Sugar
20 drops FO
1/8 tsp gold mica
After cutting and comparing each one I truely do prefer the the gold one. Hands down!!! It's jjuuusssttt right!! It cuts well, I think the extra M & P helped and it does not have the oily feel that the other ones did. Now I have to remember with my next batch to thuroughly pack them into their molds. then it will be perfection!